When in the process of remodeling your home, every saved dollar counts! It can be very tempting to enlist the services of a contractor who may not be “technically certified”, but much less expensive. However, you should resist this urge as much as possible! Hiring unlicensed contractors opens you up to a number of risks and liabilities that simply are not worth it. Here are a few reasons why:
- If you hire a contractor who is not licensed, and they make a mistake during your remodel, your homeowner’s insurance will not cover the repairs.
- If your unlicensed contractor bails on the job before the work has been completed, your homeowner’s insurance will not compensate you for the rest of the work that you paid for.
- When a contractor obtains licensure, it means they are willing to play by the rules.
- Licensed contractors will have more knowledge regarding city-building codes, and are more likely to obey them. If you hire an unlicensed contractor and he makes changes to your home that are not permitted by your city’s building codes, you may be fined and forced to reverse the work.
- Unlicensed contractors do not typically carry their own insurance. This means that if they become injured on your property, you may be charged with their pricey medical bills.
Keep in mind that licensure for a contractor varies between states. Even if your contractor is licensed in a different state, they must still be licensed in yours. Make the intelligent decision to hire a contractor who cares enough to obtain appropriate licensure.
For all of your insurance needs, please contact the accomplished agents at Young Insurance Agency, located in Burbank. Whether you are looking for auto, home, life, health, or commercial auto insurance, we are the carrier for you! Give us a call, today!