Spring is a beautiful time of year but can prove hazardous for drivers.
Spring is here and the warmer weather is upon us! As we turn the corner into the new season, road conditions are changing as well. As the old age tradition goes, spring showers come in full force during March and April, and there’s little we can do to understand when they will be. Along with that, the warmer weather brings people out and about, adding to the congestion and hazards on the road.
Here are a few tips to ensure safe and enjoyable spring driving:
- Share the road. When the weather turns warm, more and more people are out and about, including pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists. Pay extra attention to people on the roads during the spring and summer months, making sure to leave enough distance.
- Slow down on residential streets. The lighter nights mean that children are playing and adults are working in their yard or walking the dog. Drive slowly, and watch out for any people stepping into the road.
- Top up your tires. Ensure that your tires are inflated to the manufacturer’s recommended PSI to help to optimize tire performance and fuel economy, and reduce damage from potholes and other road hazards.
- Be sure your vehicle is ready for rain. Windshield wipers should be replaced at least once a year to help ensure the best visibility during inclement weather.
- Spring showers bring wet driving conditions. Be sure to increase your following distance and drive slower when road conditions are slippery. Road conditions can be especially dangerous when precipitation first begins, since the rain mixes with oil and debris on the roadway, causing slick road surfaces.
- Flooding – Flooding in the spring can occur anywhere, and is the number one weather-related killer in the United States. If a road is flooded, don’t attempt to drive through it.
Spring weather can be temperamental, but by exercising a little extra caution, you and your loved ones will stay safe and sound. While safe driving habits help to protect your journey, auto insurance safeguards your finances and family. Visit Young Insurance for the right policy for your needs in Burbank and neighboring cities in California.