Give thanks this season by serving this delicious meal.
Thanksgiving will be here before you know it! When you’re thinking about what great recipes to make this year, why not consider some cruelty-free alternatives? This year, have a compassionate, plant-based Thanksgiving dinner. After all, research has found that the most effective way to save our planet is to adopt a plant-based diet, and there are countless studies that it is an optimal diet for human health. This year, try a delicious plant-based, vegetarian recipe that your guests will love!
- 2 cups cooked French lentils
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 ¼ cup diced crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 3 bell peppers, halved and seeded (optional)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- pinch brown or coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots, celery, pepper, and mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper until softened. Add the garlic and sauté another minute longer.
- In a food processor, pulse together the lentils, cooked vegetables, tomato paste, bbq sauce, flax meal, parsley, salt, pepper, oats, and breadcrumbs. You may have to work in batches if your food processor is small. Do not puree, but blend into a chunky dough. You want some bits of veggies for texture.
- Form the dough into a ball and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Form into a “loaf” shape as shown in the pictures. Alternatively, fill bell pepper halves with the lentil mixture and place in a baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread the ketchup on top. Sprinkle with sugar to help caramelize the topping. Bake for another 10 minutes. Let the lentil loaf cool at least 10 minutes as it firms up during this time.
We hope that you enjoyed this recipe! From all of the team at Young Insurance, we hope you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving! For all of your personal and commercial insurance needs, contact us today.