Use these tips to keep your personal information safe while online.
The Internet has become much more than just a way to learn the answer to a question. It is used to pay bills, communicate through emails, shop, and manage bank accounts. While being able to do everything from the comfort of your couch can be convenient, it can also open the door to identity theft. Keep these online identity theft protection tips in mind to help keep your personal information safe.
While shopping online:
- Only shop at reputable online retailers that have secure websites. When looking at the URL of the site, make sure it starts with HTTPS:// instead of just HTTP:// to keep your information secure.
- Use the same credit card for all of your online purchases and carefully look at the statement that you get each month so that you can catch fraudulent charges as soon as possible.
When sending and opening emails and attachments:
- Never send any personal information by instant message or email. Once an email is sent, it can be easily intercepted.
- Never click on any links in emails or that you come across online that look suspicious or are from an unknown source.
- Use extra caution when opening emails about your financial accounts. If you are not sure if the email is valid, contact your bank directly.
Every time you are browsing the web, use common sense. If a link or website does not look like it is secure, avoid using it all together to keep safe.
For all of your identity theft insurance needs to keep your personal information safe while surfing the web, contact Young Insurance in Burbank, California. As an independent insurance agency, we will work with you to make sure that you have the right amount of protection, all at the right price to fit your budget.