Storage Facility Insurance
Storing your belongings is a great place to keep them safe while you are moving or showing your house. Before you put all of your assets in storage, keep these tips in mind to ensure everything that you put in storage is protected with the right insurance coverage.
- Ask about off premises coverage – some homeowners insurance policies will provide a limited amount of coverage for assets that are kept off premises, including in a storage facility. Check to see if your policy will provide any coverage.
- Find out about financial protection – most storage facilities will provide reimbursement for damaged or destroyed items based on the square footage of the unity. They will also provide supplemental insurance packages to provide further protection.
- Consider special insurance – if you are storing any expensive items, you should consider investing in special insurance, such as an endorsement or floater. There are also specialized storage facilities that are made to hold special items at the right temperature and humidity.
- Create an inventory – while you are packing up what you are planning on storing, make an inventory. Take pictures and document the condition of every item that you are putting in storage.
Along with having the right insurance protection, it is also important to make sure that you choose the right facility. When looking for the right facility, make sure to look for:
- Security measures – make sure the facility has access control and onsite security features, including 24-hour surveillance.
- Climate control – facilities that get too hot or too cold can damage your belongings. Make sure that ground water cannot get into the unit.
- Cleanliness – visit the facility before you choose the right one and make sure that it is well-maintained and clean.
For all of your insurance needs to ensure that all of your assets are protected while in a storage unit, contact Young Insurance in Burbank, California.