How to prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Have you ever thought about how theft-proof your car is? You rely on it every day to get you to work, enjoy life and look after your family. It’s stressful, inconvenient, and expensive to be without it, so it pays to better protect it from theft. Although modern immobilizers and smart key technology in newer cars may be enough to make thieves think twice, it’s often not enough to stop them. Take a look at these easy daily habits that you can take to prevent car theft.
Prevent car theft:
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all the windows.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one.
- Never leave your vehicle title in the car.
- Know where you’re going. Avoid known high-crime areas even if the alternate route takes longer.
- Thieves like to work in the dark. Park in well-lit areas if possible.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially in garages, parking lots, and gas stations.
Prevent car theft at home:
- Increase your property’s security with motion sensor lights, alarms, and quality door locks. This reduces the risk of your home or garage being broken into.
- Store your car keys away from doors and windows.
- Always lock the doors, even when you’re inside or just outside in the yard.
- Take your house keys and garage remote out of the car. You don’t want to make it easy for thieves to get inside your home while the car is in the driveway.
- Trim trees and shrubs so that your car is more visible from inside the house. This also removes potential hiding places for thieves.