Spring break insurance tips to keep your home safe.
For many students and families, spring break is a great time to plan a fun holiday adventure. For others, it’s a good opportunity to get away for some rest and relaxation. If you plan on heading out on spring break, keep these tips in mind to safeguard your property.
Leave Your Home Safely
If you plan on taking a trip this spring break, make sure your homeowners insurance is up to date. If you’re going to be away for an extended period of time, it’s worth telling your insurer beforehand. They may have additional coverages to put in place while you’re away. Additionally, you can prepare your home for your departure with these tips:
- Install motion-sensor lights that can stop thieves in their tracks
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked
- Remove objects that can be used to reach second-story windows (e.g. patio furniture and ladders)
- Have the post office hold your mail until you return
- Mow the lawn right before you leave. Long grass can give the appearance that the owners are away
- Have a trusted family member or neighbor check up on your house while you’re away
- Update your home inventory so all of your beloved goods are protected by your insurance