Living in California comes with the threat of experiencing a wildfire. Keeping these wildfire safety tips in mind can help make sure you and your possessions stay safe in the event of a fire.
To prevent a wildfire:
- Call 911 if you see any unattended or out of control fires.
- Pour water on campfires and stir the ashes until they are cold before going to bed or leaving the fire.
If you have to evacuate:
- Evacuate as soon as you are told to do so. Do not wait until it is too late to leave.
- Know evacuation routes and wear protective footwear and clothing to prevent from getting burned from flying embers.
Before you leave you home for evacuation:
- Remove all combustible material from your yard, such as firewood or BBQ grills.
- Shut down all propane, natural gas, or fuel supplies.
If you are caught in a wildfire:
- Look for any nearby water, such as a pond, and crouch down as low as possible in it.
- If there is no nearby water, cover yourself with wet clothing or soil and breath air closest to the ground to try and avoid breathing in smoke.
When it comes to insuring your home and other personal property, contact Young Insurance.