Reduce stress and prevent road rage when sitting in traffic.
Whether it’s in the morning rush or last thing on a Sunday afternoon, everyone hates sitting in traffic. Aside from staying off the roads or finding an alternative route, there’s little that we can do about avoiding traffic jams altogether. While it’s frustrating to no end, getting worked up does nothing for our well-being or the situation itself. To alleviate this stress, check out these tips.
Make smart driving decisions:
- Avoid aggressive driving and weaving from lane to lane.
- Keep a safe distance – at least three seconds between you and the vehicle ahead. This will help you avoid frequent braking and potential rear-end collisions.
- Watch the traffic ahead closely. When cars in front of you start to brake, take your foot off the accelerator to slow down gradually before you brake.
- Stay focused! Avoid distractions such as using your cell phone.
Use good driving habits:
- Use your turn signals when changing lanes or merging. Put these blinkers on before you start to merge or turn.
- Use your mirrors to observe the areas around your car.
- Use the length of the acceleration lane to merge safely into traffic.
Before you set off:
- Leave a few minutes earlier if you know traffic is likely.
- Check traffic with apps on your smartphone (before getting behind the wheel).
- Map out an alternative route on your GPS if you’re concerned about encountering heavy traffic.
Pass the time productively:
- Listen to audiobooks to distract yourself from the standing traffic in front.
- Carpool – just having someone to talk to will make the time fly by.
We won’t pretend that there is any way to make you actually like being stuck in traffic. Traffic jams are among the most loathsome obstacles in our daily routines, but cutting down on stress at this point can be a relief.
Keeping your car safe on the roads helps to protect the vehicle as well as your wallet. When you’re looking for the right car insurance in Burbank, Glendale, and neighboring cities in California, visit the team at Young Insurance!